Thursday, May 4, 2006

"I'm 37, I'm not old..."

Well, I met a lovely young lady from Senegal with an awesome French accent at Lisa's soiree over the weekend. We went on the traditional symphony+dessert date, and it went nicely. She's smart, she likes Mahler, no complaints.

Except ... at the end when she was giving me the "I had a great time" spiel, she added, very sweetly, that I was proof of why it's better for her to date an older guy. Fuck, I never heard that one before. But I guess I was never older by double digits before. Fuck.

Well, if I want to feel young again, I have the Chicago Pipe Show this weekend. That's a crowd where I'm definitely one of the whippersnappers. I like to think of it as an Adult Entertainment Expo for absent-minded professors, country gentlemen, and Popeye. I never did one of those AEE-style show reports for the pipe show before (I don't think you'd enjoy the pictures as much), but here's a quick version of what I'll be looking for.

With both shows, the coolest thing is that you can meet the towering giants of that culture, the tip of the top. He's probably never heard himself described this way before, but Greg Pease is the Jenna Jameson of tobacco blending.



What would that make Karl-Heinz Joura and Lee Von Erck, other than master pipe carvers? Well, I don't want to push the analogy too far.



The pipe show actually might be better than AEE. For one thing, even if you can never really have a $3,900 Knudsen or Chonowitsch, you can pick up the object of your affection and handle it all you want (just be careful).



Outside the show hall, there will be people making deals from their hotel rooms. The off-site scene always reminds me of Taxi Driver, when Easy Andy is selling guns to Travis Bickle.



In the end, though, the goal is pretty much the same: just taking the time to properly enjoy seeing something beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment